Friday morning brought a stormy sky. The wind was blowing. I could hear the waves crashing on the beach.
The golden and russet leaves of the maples seem to glow against the grey sky.
Today’s class with Fran Meneley was called Finding Your Voice. Fran brought all kinds of art materials and encouraged us to explore and try many as we could so we could find out which methods suited our style. She demonstrated techniques and offered us ideas about things we could do when we got stuck.
- I am a sort of fussy journaler – I don’t like pages that buckle and ooze paint over on to other pages. I love seeing this in other people’s journals, just not in my own.
- I really like working flat rather than in a bound journal. I’ve started a new journal which has metal rings that open and close. I can take a page out to work on it, and re-arrange pages to my heart’s content.
- I really like collage. It is my favorite part of journaling. When I get into the zone and begin playing with color, pattern and paper I tune can tune out the world. It rained today. Really hard. I was totally in the zone while I was collaging and never even noticed.
- I almost always create a page with a character for a focal point. I love crafting these characters from all sorts of bits and pieces. I used to love making paper dolls when I was a girl. I don’t think I ever completely got over that.
- I love to fuss over a page and add lots of tiny details – sort of like embroidering with ink.
Here’s a look at a couple of the pages I made today.